Friends of the Earth, a network of environmental organisations from over 70 countries have joined together to create the campaign, Plastic Free Friday. The idea behind it is simple, to help people cut down on single use plastic for one day of the week, hopefully this will then inspire people to try doing it every week. The Plastic Free Friday campaign started on the 16th of February, join the world and post pictures of your plastic free day on social media using the #PlasticFreeFriday.
What Do You Have To Do?
In an ideal world we could go plastic free every Friday, but it’s really hard when plastic products surround us and make up a part of our everyday lives. However that doesn’t mean that the little things don’t make a big difference.
What Can You Do?
- Say no to a plastic straw in a shop.
- Take your own shopping bags and leave all plastic wrapping in the shop when you pay.
- Ask your butcher and grocer to wrap your shopping in paper or take your own Tupperware with you.
- Drink loose leaf tea. Did you know that lots of tea bags contain plastic?
- Buy one plastic-free item that you plan to add to your daily life – there are more alternative beauty, personal hygiene and kitchen products than you may have thought.
- Call up Doko Recyclers to get cash for trash.
- Say no to a plastic cup in a cafe – either sit down and enjoy it from a real mug or take your own reusable cup.
- At lunchtime, ditch the plastic-heavy supermarket meal deal and bring in your own tasty food; or get away from your desk for lunch with some colleagues and enjoy eating off a proper plate with real cutlery.
How Can You Get Involved?
- Share your commitment to the cause on social media by posting a picture of your #PlasticFreeFriday, add your own ideas to inspire others.
- Tag @friends_earth and use #PlasticFreeFriday in your post.
- Visit the Friends of the Earth website to make your plastic free pledge.